}

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How To Accept A Job Properly

                              shaking hands photo: shaking hands shaking_hands.jpg


The other week, I received a cc of a note sent to a client by a candidate who had just accepted a job.  It was one of the best such notes I ever saw.  As a result, it occurred to me that a lot of people don’t know how to properly accept a job.

All too often I will accept a job for a candidate, call the client and agree on a start date and then tell the candidate it is confirmed.  All too often, I have to tell my candidates to call the client to thank them and tell them how happy they are.  Very often, that suggestion is met with a, “Should I?”  The answer is always a resounding, " yes".

The thank you note this candidate sent follows. It was not prompted by me:

            “I'm thrilled about this position and will sign the paperwork and email it back to you this 
            evening. I'm certain we'll do great things together and I'm looking forward to starting next week.
            “In the meantime (after I sign appropriate paperwork), could you please send me any 
            relevant decks and background documents in preparation for the [client] meeting on 8/12? 
            I like to hit the ground running.

            “Thanks again,”
I wanted to share this with you because it is short, well written and absolutely communicates the enthusiasm the candidate has for his new job.  It is a really good way to start a relationship.  I am actually amazed that over the years I have seen few emails like this. 
Should anyone need coaching, here are the things you need to do when accepting a job.
            1)  Say yes to whoever offers you the job. Work out a start date.  Ask for an offer letter.
            2)  Call the hiring manager (don’t email) who will more than likely be the person                                                you will report to.  Thank them for the opportunity and tell them how excited                                          you are.  Reconfirm your start date (often HR and the hiring manager are not in sync.)
                 Ask if there is anything you should be reading or doing until you start.  Send an email
                 like the one above.
            3)  email others you have met at the company to express your enthusiasm and thank them.

It is surprising how many people don't do this, certainly not the third point above.  Starting on a positive and enthusiastic note, is a really smart thing.




1 comment:

I would welcome your comments, suggestions or anything you would like to share with me or my readers.

 
Creative Commons License
.