}

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Adventures In Recruiting: Great Quotes Over The Years




I thought it would be fun to share some of the more absurd things that both candidates and clients have said to me.

No Words Can Explain
When I told a candidate about a potential job, “Do they have private offices? My lease is up soon and I may have to stay at work for a while.”

Hubris
Said by an HR director at J. Walter Thompson when giving me a job order to replace a departing account person who was going to Margeotes, Fertitta, Weiss (one of the best and most successful of the small agencies in the 1990’s), “Imagine, leaving here to go to an agency whose name you cannot pronounce.” Unfortunately, she was serious.

Sore Loser
Said by a candidate who did not get a job after four weeks of intensive interviewing and going back too many times to count: “Well, I didn’t like them, anyway.”

Sore Loser, Too
Said by a candidate who did not get a job at Chiat/Day in their earlier days, “I guess it is a good thing.  I don’t look good in jeans.”

Huh?
The reason given by an account supervisor who wanted to leave Chiat/Day after only a week (I had not placed her there), “I have to do my own Xeroxing.”

She Doesn’t Get It
The entire email sent by a candidate who instead of returning my call to tell her about a potential opportunity wrote, “I no longer require your services.”

An HR Director Who Didn’t Get It
“The trouble with you recruiters is that you want feedback.  I don’t have the time for that s­­%@t---”

A Hiring Manager Who Didn’t Get It
Said after  I sent three really great candidates, “I don’t want to use you any more.  You only send me two or three candidates and I need to interview at least ten or twelve people.” Quantity over quality.

OMG!
When I first was recruiting in the 80’s, I worked out of my living room.  I was interviewing a woman while my wife was in the bedroom.  I swear this is true: “What can I do to get you to get me a job?” said she as she was unbuttoning her blouse. Well, it was the 80’s.

Get Over It
When I asked a candidate about a potential job, she asked me if a certain gentleman worked there.  When I answered yes, she told me that he was an “ass” and she wouldn’t work at any company that would hire him.  When I asked her why, she said, simply, “I was once engaged to him.”  I guess that is as good a reason as any for passing up an opportunity.

For Real?
The reason I use you is because you know the business.  That saves us the trouble of writing job specs and descriptions. Compliment yes. Direction no.

The Wife As Unseen Client
“I can’t hire her. She is way too pretty.  I will have to travel with her.  If my wife ever met her, she would castrate me.”












21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey, when I started, I worked in my dad's mail room and handled the mimeograph machine!

      Delete
    2. "I love the smell of Gestetner in the morning."

      Delete
  2. Sorry if this posted earlier

    Me: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (Sorry for that question but it was an unplanned interview for an AAE position at A&P--not the grocery store one)

    SHE: Running an Inn

    ME: Perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. Thanks for sharing. Next time I post (Jan 6th), I am going to tell the story of a senior person who did the same thing. People just don't think.

      Delete
  3. My favorite question ever was still from when I was interviewing for my first copywriting job out of college:

    "Did you go to SVA? No? [pushes portfolio away without having opened it] Then you can't possibly be any good."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xeroxing...that's great. It's sort of like saying "Jacuzzi" for a hot-tub, "Kleenex" for facial tissue, or "Chapstick" for lip balm...just to name a few :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul ... Loved your "OMG!" anecdote. Too bad your wife was home. Which may help explain why I have two ex-wives. LOL and best for the holidays, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, You didn't finish the OMG story. So what happened?? .
    .
    .
    .
    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GET RICH WITH BLANK ATM CARD ... Whatsapp: +18033921735

    I want to testify about Dark Web blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how Dark Web Cyber hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich.( darkwebcyberhackers@gmail.com ) I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 250,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. Dark Web is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

    Email: darkwebcyberhackers@gmail.com OR darkwebcyberhackers@yahoo.com

    Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

    Website: https://darkwebcycberhackers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in need of a loan?
    Do you want to pay off your bills?
    Do you want to be financially stable?
    All you have to do is to contact us for
    more information on how to get
    started and get the loan you desire.
    This offer is open to all that will be
    able to repay back in due time.
    Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable
    and at interest rate of 2% just email us:
    reply to us (Whats App) number: +919394133968
    patialalegitimate515@gmail.com
    Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

    Hello, Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We invest in all profitable projects with cryptocurrencies. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options, Are you interested in earning a consistent income through binary/forex trade? or crypto currency trading. An investment of $100 or $200 can get you a return of $2,840 in 7 days of trading and you get to do this from the comfort of your home/work. It goes on and on The higher the investment, the higher the profits. Your investment is safe and secured and payouts assured 100%. if you wish to know more about investing in Cryptocurrency and earn daily, weekly OR Monthly in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing Contact MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    categories of investment

    Cryptocurrency
    Loan Offer
    Mining Plan
    Business Finance Plan
    Binary option Trade Plan
    Forex trade Plan
    Stocks market Trade Plan
    Return on investment (ROI) Plan
    Gold and Silver Trade Plan
    Oil and Gas Trade Plan
    Diamond Trade Plan
    Agriculture Trade Plan
    Real Estate Trade Plan

    YOURS IN SERVICE
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    Financial Advisor on Bank Instruments,
    Private Banking and Client Services
    Email Address: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com
    Operation: We provide Financial Service Such As Bank Instrument
    From AA Rate Banks, Cash Loan,BG,SBLC,BOND,PPP,MTN,TRADING,FUNDING MONETIZING etc.









    ReplyDelete
  11. DO YOU NEED FINANCES? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCES? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCING TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?via email:bullsindia187@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I would welcome your comments, suggestions or anything you would like to share with me or my readers.

 
Creative Commons License
.